If you haven’t worked in recruitment before or writing is not something that comes naturally to you then writing a job ad can be a difficult task. If sales and the art and science of selling is unfamiliar to you then writing a sales job ad is even more difficult.
Unfortunately, its not as easy as saying ‘Make money’. You need to provide a little bit more information to attract the best sales candidates that are a good fit for your sales vacancy. Here is our short guide to writing a sales job ad, with examples.
As with any other job, you want to inform the candidate of the basics of the role, such as: job title, responsibilities, location and hourly rate or salary. The other things you might want to consider is how many years of sales experience you would like the sales candidate to have, and whether they need to have industry experience matching to your industry.
Types of Sales Jobs
We have previously identified more than 22 different types of sales roles and functions, however when it comes down to it, there are really only five different types of sales roles.
- SDR (this is selling via the telephone, such as Appointment Setting, Inside Sales, Telesales or Telemarketing)
- Field Sales (selling face to face, such as an Area Manager or Networker)
- Account Executive (someone who closes deals which you might call a Sales Executive or Closer)
- Customer Success (someone who nurtures relationships and helps with onboarding clients. Might be considered an Account Manager)
- Sales Manager
In certain cases there are salespeople that do all of the above. In Australia this is typically called a Business Development Manager (BDM). You can choose whatever job title you want for salespeople – perhaps you want to make it sound fancy or prestigious – but its advisable to explain that it is one of the above type of sales role.
What are the personal qualities you are looking for in a salesperson? Below is a list of skills you might want to look for in a salesperson.
- Strong work ethic
- Target driven
- Excellent phone manner
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Good knowledge of CRMs and technology
- Excellent rapport builder
- Previous experience working towards KPIs
- Self motivated
- Ability to work within a team and on your own
- Ability to understand new concepts quickly
- Ability to think on your feet
- Understanding of the sales cycle (and how to crunch it)
- High level of integrity and ethics
- Proven ability to close deals
- Strong relationships and networking skills
Job Ad Examples
Hundreds of job ads have been posted on Sellcrowd, from one liners (yuk) to the most detailed and well written jobs that are the size of the novel. While it is probably not a good thing to have such an incredibly long job ad that candidates will skim read your ad, we have to give props to our client Jobs Outsourced for ‘the most comprehensive sales job ad’ award:
Telesales & Appointment Setter
- $30 per hour
- Bonus structure
Innovative resources to help you smash your targets including:
- LinkedIn Navigator
- Infusionsoft CRM – Sales pipeline, dashboard, lead scoring, tagging and automated EDM’s
- SMS platform
- Client case study and strategy examples
- Live sandbox – interactive software demonstrations
- Over 700 landing page examples
- Lead magnets
- Templates, frameworks & swipe Files
- Videos – How it works, client testimonials
- Presentations slide decks
- Full time marketing manager support producing content, campaigns and resources
- Sales training from a top 1% sales trainer who has conducted over 5000 face to face appointments internationally
- Key account sales manager who will close large scale deals face to face nationally, while you work on closing your small to medium sized accounts via the phone
- Fully developed Software application with shopping cart
- Client onboarding automation
- Easy to interpret product packages
- Customer success team to ensure your sales are nurtured and set up for success
- An opportunity to grow within the business with a defined career map for those who want to go next level
JO’s rapid growth and success in Australia is creating exciting opportunities within our digital telesales consultant (DTC) team.
This role is designed for those outstanding candidates who are eager to excel and are driven to exceed expectations and want to be surrounded by Australia’s top 5% of digital talent.
As a DTC, you will create and close new business opportunities via a targeted and scientific approach to selling. In additional to building your own book of customers, you will contact and arrange appointments with for our Key Accounts Manager to expand the JO key account client portfolio.
You will be provided with extensive internal and external training to ensure your professional growth in the role, work in an ultra-modern virtual office with the latest technology to support the sales cycle and the opportunity to create your mark in a hardworking, high performing and highly rewarded national sales team.
- Contact leads to arrange meetings with prospect clients for your key account manager to attend
- Self-sourcing leads and securing new business opportunities
- Achieving set sales targets and objectives
- Ensure high standards of professionalism and customer service, thereby creating referral and intermediary opportunities
- Generate a network of affiliate partners who refer you hot opportunities with extremely high close rates
- Ensuring that clients understand all aspects of JO platform, products and processes.
- Grow your existing client base by cross and upselling additional products and services
The right person will have:
- At least 12 months experience in an outbound telesales role
- Have a solid understanding of the digital marketing industry
- Excellent communication, relationship building and interpersonal skills
- A positive attitude, with an unyielding passion for success
- Enjoys reaping the rewards of hard work
- Thrives in a fast paced environment
- Be a risk taker and be prepared to challenge themselves and more importantly their customers to get them thinking growth
Why join JO?
JO is a Simple, Innovative Approach to Digital Marketing helping entrepreneurs and marketing departments grow their business by hiring the world’s top digital strategists.
Our needs based packages connect business owners with a savvy, skilled and specialised group of global digital marketers.
JO is an innovative cloud based digital marketing platform based in Australia. JO provides a medium that helps businesses grow by connecting them with digital marketing services. The easy to use dashboard allows businesses to browse and select a monthly package that best suits their needs. From SEM, SEO and email marketing to social media and strategy, JO has it covered.
JO has built a network of skilled digital marketing professionals who understand what drives success in a campaign. We’re proud of what we’ve achieved with our platform and it’s been rewarding to help businesses achieve their marketing goals without the headache and cost of hiring in-house. We are now looking to build our A team of telesales professional across Australia, and we want to hear from you.
To make a positive impact on the global business economy by making digital marketing for businesses easy.
To empower businesses to achieve digital marketing excellence that helps grow their business and achieve their vision.
To provide a safe and secure platform that connects top performing digital specialists with the world to create meaningful connections that help both parties thrive.
Our Core Values:
They are more than just corporate buzzwords. Our seven core values are the heart of the JO culture. They guide us daily as we work to transform how businesses succeed.
‘Raise the Standard’
We set high standards and constantly challenge ourselves to exceed them.
To create a noticeable and positive impact on our customer’s business.
‘Add a Little Extra’
We do a little more than we are paid for to make an investment in our customers future.
we’re open to ideas that work. Regardless of where or who they come from.
We’re all human. If something goes wrong, we’ll tell you how and do all we can to correct it.
The key to our success is from the relationships we’ve built. We treat each other like family and this helps us serve our customers like no one else can.
‘We do what we say we will’
We provide realistic solutions with clear expectations. We’re accountable for our actions, personal goals and development.
We’re sure any aspiring salesperson would want to work in a role like that.